“I will not contend for ever, neither will I be always wroth: for the spirit should fail before me, and the souls; which I have made” (Isaiah 57:16).
Our heavenly Father seeks-
– our instruction!
– not our destruction!!
His contention with us-
– has a kind intention toward us.
He will not be-
– always in arms against us!
He will hold us-
– always in His arms!
We think the Lord is long in His chastisements.
But that is because we are short in our patience.
His compassion endures forever.
– but not His contention.
The night may drag its weary length along.
But it must in the end give place to cheerful day.
As contention is only for a season-
– so the wrath which leads to it is only for a small moment.
If He were to deal with us always as He does sometimes-
– we should faint outright and go down hopelessly to the gates of death.
The Lord will soon end His chiding.
– for the Lord will bear you up,
– and bear you through!
He who made you knows how frail you are and how little you can bear.
He will handle tenderly that which He has fashioned so delicately.
– be not afraid because of the painful present,
– for it hastens to a prosperous future!
He that smote you shall heal you!
His small anger shall be followed by His great affection!
His little wrath shall be followed by His lavish wonders!