“Walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh” (Galatians 5:16).
This is a simple formula for a righteous lifestyle.
We have a choice:
We can live according to our fleshly desires for comfort and pleasure.
Or we can trust the Holy Spirit to enable us to fearlessly serve the Lord.
Resisting the tug of the flesh isn’t easy!
Even the disciples-
– who spent three years learning directly from Jesus,
– couldn’t expect to achieve righteousness in their own strength.
The Lord instructed the disciples to wait in Jerusalem until the power of the Holy Spirit came upon them.
Modern followers can put no more confidence in their flesh-
– than did 11 of Jesus’ close friends.
In order to walk by the Holy Spirit-
– we must accept the truth that it’s impossible to live the Christian life alone.
If we depend upon our experiences and strength, we’ll fail.
God’s Spirit works in and through us.
That’s why submitting our will to His power and guidance is critical.
And surrender isn’t a one-time deal.
Believers have to yield repeatedly.
For sanctification is-
– not a once for all experience!
– but a continuous experience!!
Sanctification is not a second experience!
Sanctification is an every second experience!
Every time a decision must be made-
– we should look to the Spirit for guidance.
Righteous living simply isn’t natural for human beings.
We require help.
Our Father has graciously given us the Helper so we can live in a godly manner.
When we choose to yield to His direction, joy and peace will follow.