Nicodemus would probably be welcome at any church today.
He seems an ideal member-
– principled, knowledgeable, morally upstanding, courteous, and humble.
However, Nicodemus had two big problems despite all of that outward religious appeal.
– blind to the truth and
– spiritually dead.
The man was lost!
That is, he did not have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
As a Pharisee-
Nicodemus adhered to strict Jewish codes and laws, so he was certainly religious.
But the problem of the lost person is not attitudes, conduct, or even character.
We can change and control those through sheer determination, and many folks do.
What people really need is a change of condition!
We come into this world-
– with a sinful nature that is bent away from God.
Jesus explained to the observant rabbi that-
– all his outward goodness couldn’t erase, replace, or change his nature.
Instead, every person who desires to serve God-
– must be born again!
The Lord promised that if Nicodemus received Him as Saviour-
– then he would enter into a brand-new life!
His old sinful nature would be transformed-
– so that he could have a real relationship with God.
Instead of appearing to be a religious man-
Nicodemus would be a true believer.
No one gets into heaven on the strength of good works and kind behaviour.
When we stand before God, only our condition will matter.
In place of our old, dead “flesh” nature-
– we should show Him the living spirit we have received when Jesus Christ came into our life.